Austin Convention Center Global Biorisk Advisory Council® (GBAC) STAR™ Accreditation
The Austin Convention Center has achieved Global Biorisk Advisory Council® (GBAC) STAR™ accreditation, the gold standard for prepared facilities. Under the guidance of GBAC, a Division of ISSA, the worldwide cleaning industry association, the Austin Convention Center Department has implemented the most stringent protocols for cleaning, disinfection, and infectious disease prevention for the facility. GBAC rating is the gold standard for prepared facilities. The CNS will follow the dedicated action plan for the Austin Convention Center and adhere to guidelines published by the Centers for Disease Control, the city of Austin, and the state of Texas. More detail is listed below.
As the cleaning industry’s only outbreak prevention, response, and recovery accreditation, GBAC STAR™ helps organizations establish protocols and procedures, offers expert-led training, and assesses a facility’s readiness for biorisk situations. The program will verify that the Austin Convention Center Department is implementing best practices to prepare the staff and buildings for future meetings and events.
“The GBAC STAR™ facility accreditation is a performance-based program that certifies that the Austin Convention Center continues to protect our staff and visitors, as we are equipped and ready to safely welcome back in-person events,” said Trisha Tatro, Austin Convention Center Department Interim Director. “Our staff has worked extremely hard to operate using specific procedures and protocols to best prepare, protect, and recover from outbreaks and pandemics.”
To achieve GBAC STAR™ accreditation, the Austin Convention Center will demonstrate compliance with the program’s 20 core elements, which range from standard operating procedures and risk assessment strategies to personal protective equipment and emergency preparedness and response measures. Learn more about GBAC STAR accreditation at www.gbac.org.
Along with reaching a higher level of cleaning and disinfection, the Austin Convention Center Department has purchased new sanitation equipment and uses the following products:
- Stearns® ONE PACKS Mark E II Disinfectant/Deodorizer and multipurpose, neutral pH, hospital-grade quaternary, a one-step germicide, detergent, deodorizer, fungicide, and virucide
- Four Sentry 4 UV stand-alone disinfection machines that emit full spectrum UV light to eliminate up to 99.9% of the bacteria, fungi, and viruses in the space, and limit the growth of fungi
- Handheld electrostatic sprayers: Victory Sprayers’ patented technology provides an electrical charge to solutions, allowing them to wrap conductive surfaces with an effective and even coverage; these machines reduce cross-contamination due to their touchless application
- Equipment will be sanitized before the start of each event and at the end of each day
- Handwashing stations will be available to use in the exhibit halls and on the loading dock
- Hand sanitizer stations have been increased and include foot-operated stands for use in the back areas of the facility during move-ins and entries to the center.